Nov. 1 Duke 51, at Pitt 48 2OT
And You Care Because … In the second overtime, Pitt settled for a 43-yard Chris Blewitt field goal, and Duke answered with a five-yard Thomas Sirk touchdown run for the win. In a back and forth shootout, the Blue Devils got three Anthony Boone touchdown passes and a 12-yard scoring run in the first overtime, but the defense couldn’t stop James Conner, who rumbled for three short touchdown runs. The game appeared to turn in the fourth after Blewitt tied the game at 31 with a 38-yard field goal, but got blown past for a kickoff return for a score on the ensuing boot by DeVon Edwards. Instead, the Panthers went on a long touchdown march ending with Conner’s third touchdown run to tie it, carrying over into overtime after Blewitt missed a late kick.
What Else? Tim of possession: Pitt 41:08 – Duke 18:52
– Duke QB Anthony Boone completed 23-of-31 passes for 266 yards and three touchdowns, and ran seven times for a team-high 47 yards and a score
– Pitt RB James Conner ran 38 times for 268 yards and three scores
– Duke WR Jamison Crowder caught nine passes for 165 yards and two scores
Game Rating: A
Oct. 30 Florida State 42, Louisville 31
And You Care Because … Florida State got down 21-0, and Jameis Winston was picked off three times, but it didn’t matter. The Seminoles wore down the Louisville defense as Winston threw three touchdown passes starting out with a 68-yard Travis Rudolph pass and threw a perfect strike to Ermon Lane for a 47-yard score for a 28-24 lead. Louisville answered right back with a 65-yard drive finishing up with Michael Dyer’s third touchdown run, but that was it for the Cardinals as Dalvin Cook took off for his second touchdown run of the game, scoring from 38 yards out, and the Noles put it away with a 35-yard Freddie Stevenson touchdown catch. The Cardinals got out fast thanks to a huge game from WR DeVante Parker and Dyer runs from four and 12 yards out.
What Else? Florida State QB Jameis Winston completed 25-of-48 passes for 401 yards and three touchdowns with three interceptions
– Third down conversions: Florida State 9-of-16 – Louisville 1-of-11 (that one coming in garbage time)
– Louisville WR DeVante Parker caught eight passes for 214 yards
– Louisville RB Michael Dyer ran 28 times for 134 yards and three scores
Game Rating: B+
Nov. 1 Boston College 33, at Virginia Tech 31
And You Care Because … Tyler Murphy threw two touchdown passes and ran for another, and Myles Willis tore off a 68-yard scoring run as Boston College held on for the win. Down 23-10 going into the fourth. Virginia Tech roared back and took the lead on a Michael Brewer one-yard run and a seven-yard pass to Bucky Hodges. But BC took control back with a 44-yard Alex Howell field goal and Murphy’s 57-yard scoring run. Brewer found Ryan Malleck for a five-yard touchdown pass with 28 seconds left to pull VT within two, but BC recovered the onside kick.
What Else? Rushing yards: Boston College 258 – Virginia Tech 69
– Boston College QB Tyler Murphy completed 8-of-15 passes for 110 yards and two scores, and ran 18 times for 122 yards and a touchdown
– Virginia Tech QB Michael Brewer completed 31-of-48 passes for 345 yards and two touchdowns, and ran for a score
– First downs: Virginia Tech 7-of-20 (1-of-3 on fourth downs) – Boston College 3-of-13 (4-of-5 on fourth downs)
Game Rating: B+
Nov. 1 NC State 24, at Syracuse 17
And You Care Because … NC State got up 9-0 on three Niklas Sade field goals from 43, 43 and 21 yards out, but Syracuse took control with AJ Long touchdown passes from 15 yards out to Ben Lewis and 25 yards away to Steve Ishmael for a 14-9 lead. With the Orange driving late in the third to come up with a key score, Long was picked off by Pharoah McKever for an 82-yard touchdown, followed up by a two-point conversion from Jacoby Brissett to Matt Dayes. NC State made it unanswered points on an 18-yard Brissett pass to Shadrach Thornton to put it away.
What Else? Turnovers: Syracuse 3 – NC State 0
– NC State QB Jacoby Brissett completed 20-of-32 passes for 186 yards and a score, and ran eight times for 16 yards
– Syracuse QB AJ Long completed 22-of-42 passes for 307 yards and two touchdowns with two picks
– Syracuse WR Jarrod West caught seven passes for 161 yards
Game Rating: B-
Nov. 1 at Miami 47, North Carolina 20
And You Care Because … Miami put it away in the first half as Duke Johnson tore of a one-yard touchdown run to start the scoring and ripped off a 90-yard touchdown dash to help put it away. Clive Walford added two 14-yard touchdown catches for a 30-6 lead going into the locker room, and then Johnson was at it again with a 37-yard scoring grab. North Carolina came up with two Marquise Williams touchdown runs in the second half, and the defense got a 39-yard fumble return from Cayson Collins in the second quarter, but Miami dominated.
What Else? Miami RB Duke Johnson ran 19 times for 177 yards and two touchdowns, and caught two passes for 49 yards and a score
– North Carolina QB Marquise Williams completed 22-of-32 passes for 191 yards and an interception, and ran 14 times for four yards and two scores
– Miami QB Brad Kaaya completed 11-of-17 passes for 189 yards and three touchdowns
– Rushing yards: Miami 295 – North Carolina 6
Game Rating: D+
Nov. 1 at Georgia Tech 35, Virginia 10
And You Care Because … The Georgia Tech running game controlled the game, but it was the passing of Justin Thomas that put it away with three touchdown passes starting with an 18-yard touchdown catch to DeAndre Smelter for a 14-0 lead and all the points they would need. Synjyn Davis took over in the second half for the Yellow Jackets with touchdowns from four and 17 yards for 14 unanswered points. Virginia’s offense didn’t get too many chances, coming up with its only touchdown on a 13-yard Zachary Swanson catch in the first.
What Else? Time of possession: Georgia Tech 38:55 – Virginia 21:05
– Georgia Tech RB Synjyn Davis ran 24 times for 147 yards and a score
– Virginia ran 16 times for 22 yards
– Georgia Tech QB Justin Thomas completed 7-of-13 passes for 141 yards and three touchdowns with a pick, and ran 13 times for four yards
Game Rating: D+
Nov. 1 Duke 51, at Pitt 48 2OT