Kennesaw State Coach Amir Abdur-Rahim signed a four-year contract with the university, beginning May 1, 2019 and ending March 31, 2023.
Abdur-Rahim will earn an annual rate of $200,000 for the first year of the contract and his annual rate will increase by $10,000 each year, reaching $230,000 for the 2023 season.
He’ll receive up to 10 season tickets and 10 individual game tickets for men’s basketball home games, as well as a $650 monthly car stipend or courtesy car. If Abdur-Rahim obtains a courtesy car, the school’s athletic association will reimburse him for membership fees at the Marietta Country Club.
Abdur-Rahim can earn additional compensation through performance-based incentives:
- Regular season conference championship: $5,000
- Conference tournament championship: $7,500
- Conference coach of the year: $7,500
- National coach of the year: $10,000
- NCAA Tournament postseason appearance: $10,000
- Each NCAA Tournament victory: $10,000
- NCAA Championship: $30,000
- NIT appearance: $5,000
- Each NIT victory: $5,000
- NIT Championship: $15,000
- If the men’s basketball team has a single-year APR score of 980 or higher: $5,000
If Kennesaw State terminates Abdur-Rahim without cause, the school will pay him any unpaid salary and bonuses earned through the date of termination and additionally pay him liquidated damages equal to the remainder of his base salary through the end of the agreement in 2023.
The liquidated damages would be offset by any compensation Abdur-Rahim earns through basketball-related employment during the time he’s being paid the liquidated damages.
If Abdur-Rahim terminates the contract early without cause, he’ll owe the athletic association the following:
- Resignation prior to December 31, 2019: 50% of total remaining annual salary for the balance of the agreement
- Resignation prior to December 31, 2020: 45% of total remaining annual salary for the balance of the agreement
- Resignation prior to December 31, 2021: 40% of total remaining annual salary for the balance of the agreement
- Resignation prior to December 31, 2022: 35% of total remaining annual salary for the balance of the agreement