Nov. 1 UAB 31, at Florida Atlantic 28
And You Care Because … Ty Long hit a 24-yard field goal with two seconds to play to break the 28-28 tie and give UAB the win. The Blazers appeared to have things in hand with a 28-7 lead in the fourth quarter, helped by two Jordan Howard touchdown runs and a 78-yard Jamarcus Nelson scoring grab. But FAU roared back in the fourth with 21 straight points on three long drives. Jaquez Johnson threw two touchdown passes and Tony Moore ran for a five-yard score, but UAB had the ball with just over four minutes left, and made the most of it going 64 yards in 12 plays leading the Long’s game-winner.
What Else? Penalties: UAB 11 for 90 yards – FAU 3 for 30 yards
– UAB RB Jordan Howard ran 35 times for 167 yards and two scores
– FAU WR Lucky Whitehead caught eight passes for 83 yards and two scores
– UAB WR Jamarcus Nelson caught six passes for 125 yards and a touchdown
Game Rating: A-
Nov. 1 Rice 31, at FIU 17
And You Care Because … Rice scored 17 first quarter points with Jowan Davis running for a 19-yard score and Jordan Taylor adding a 63-yard score. FIU got back in the game with a 52-yard Glenn Coleman touchdown catch and an 11-yard Napoleon Maxwell dash, but Rice answered back with a 69-yard pass play to James Mayden. The Owls finally put it away on a one-yard Luke Turner run in the fourth.
What Else? Rice QB Driphus Jackson completed 11-of-24 passes for 230 yards and two touchdowns, and ran nine times for a team-high 66 yards
– FIU QBs completed 10-of-23 passes for 159 yards and a score
– Rice WR Jordan Taylor caught six passes for 115 yards and a touchdown
– Total yards: Rice 299 – FIU 261
Game Rating: B-
Nov. 1 at Vanderbilt 42, Old Dominion 28
And You Care Because … The Commodores got up 21-7 on two Johnny McCrary touchdown passes and a seven-yard Ralph Webb run, but Old Dominion kept battling with two Taylor Heinicke scoring throws. But Vandy rallied late in the first half and finished it off with a third McCary touchdown pass, finding Latevius Rayford for a 20-yard score with two seconds left. ODU came up with a fumble recovery for a score, but Vandy was able to pull away as McCrary connected with David Dudchock for a 50-yard touchdown and C.J. Duncan for a 30-yars score.
What Else? Vanderbilt QB Johnny McCrary completed 20-of-29 passes for 281 yards and five touchdowns
– ODU QB Taylor Heinicke completed 21-of-36 passes for 291 yards and two touchdowns with a pick, and led the team with 25 rushing yards on two carries
– Vanderbilt RB Ralph Webb ran 31 times for 166 yards and a score
– Time of possession: Vanderbilt 45:17 – Old Dominion 14:43
Game Rating: C
Nov. 1 at UTEP 35, Southern Miss 14
And You Care Because … UTEP, helped by five takeaways, got past a USM blocked field goal for a score and a 55-yard Casey Martin touchdown catch to roll in the fourth quarter thanks to the D. Trey Brown returned an interception 51 yards for a touchdown, and Nate Gathrie returned a fumble 59 yards for a score to pull away. The Miners got some big plays throughout the game, at least from the defense and special teams, answering the Martin touchdown with a kickoff return for a score from Autrey Golden. Jameill Showers threw a one-yard touchdown pass and ran for a ten-yard score.
What Else? Total yards: USM 402 – UTEP 234
– Turnovers: USM 5 – UTEP 1
– UTEP QB Jameill Showers completed 10-of-23 passes for 127 yards and a score, and ran eight times for nine yards and a touchdown
– Southern Miss QB Cole Weeks completed 20-of-46 passes for 309 yards and a score with two interceptions
Game Rating: C
Nov. 1 BYU 27, at Middle Tennessee 7
And You Care Because … BYU let the defense do the work, stuffing the Middle Tennessee offense outside of one long second quarter scoring drive, finishing with a 22-yard Devin Clarke touchdown catch. BYU scored 17 unanswered points with Christian Stewart throwing a 10-yard touchdown pass to Jordan Leslie and putting the game away on a one-yard scoring run in the fourth.
What Else? Total yards: BYU 444 – Middle Tennessee 228
– BYU QB Christian Stewart completed 28-of-45 passes for 316 yards and two touchdowns, and ran for five yards and a score
– Middle Tennessee QB Austin Grammer completed 16-of-32 passes for 119 yards and a score with two picks
– BYU RB Jamaal Williams ran 16 times for 49 yards
Game Rating: D+
Nov. 1 at Louisiana Tech 59, WKU 10
And You Care Because … Louisiana Tech turned it over three times, but WKU gave it up five times – but the Bulldog offense didn’t need any help. Kenneth Dixon scored twice, starting out with a 48-yard run, and Trent Taylor caught three touchdown passes from seven, 19 and nine yards away. WKU had a bright spot at the end of the first quarter on a 46-yard Taywan Taylor touchdown catch, but Carlos Henderson answered with a 96-yard kickoff return for a touchdown. The Bulldogs scored 31 unanswered points on Cody Sokol’s fifth touchdown pass of the game and a three-yard touchdown run.
What Else? Louisiana Tech QB Cody Sokol completed 30-of-42 passes for 335 yards and five touchdown with a pick, and ran for a score
– WKU QB Brandon Doughty completed 14-of-35 passes for 134 yards and a touchdown with four interceptions
– Louisiana Tech WR Trent Taylor caught nine passes for 113 yards and three touchdowns
– Total yards: Louisiana Tech 507 – WKU 297
Game Rating: D
Nov. 1 UAB 31, at Florida Atlantic 28