This offseason Georgia State replaced Ron Hunter, who left for Tulane, with Rob Lanier, who spent the last four seasons as the Associate Head Coach at Tennessee. Lanier agreed to a five-year contract with the university, according to a signed offer letter Stadium obtained via public records request.
Lanier signed the offer letter on April 4 and the contract runs through April 30, 2024.
His annual base salary will be $575,000, plus an annual automobile allowance of $6,000.
Lanier is eligible for a one-time relocation expense reimbursement of up to $20,000.
Since Georgia State is sponsored by Under Armour, Lanier will receive an annual $4,000 Under Armour apparel allowance.
He has a salary pool of $400,000 to fund three assistant coach positions, plus one director of basketball operations and one video coordinator.
Lanier will be able to earn performance-based incentives, which are outlined below:
- $25,000 – If Georgia State wins or shares a regular season conference championship.
- $25,000 – If Georgia State wins the conference tournament.
- $25,000 – If Georgia State advances to the Round of 32 in the NCAA Tournament.
- $50,000 – If Georgia State advances to the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament.
- $75,000 – If Georgia State advances to the Elite Eight of the NCAA Tournament.
- $150,000 – If Georgia State advances to the Final Four of the NCAA Tournament.
- $250,000 – If Georgia State advances to the national championship game.
- $500,000 – If Georgia State wins the national championship.
- $2,500 – If Georgia State has a team GPA of 2.80 or higher for a semester.
- $5,000 – If Georgia State has a multi-year APR score greater than or equal to 940 and less than 950.
- $10,000 – If Georgia State has a multi-year APR score greater than or equal to 950 and less than 975.
- $15,000 – If Georgia State has a multi-year APR score greater than or equal to 975.
Lanier and the university’s buyouts are the same, meaning that if Georgia State were to terminate him without cause or if he were to leave for another university, the dollar amounts are the same.
Here’s how much Georgia State would owe Lanier if he’s fired without cause and how much he would owe the university if he left before his contract expired.
- $1,437,500 – April 3, 2019 – April 30, 2020
- $1.15 million – May 1, 2020 – April 30, 2021
- $862,500 – May 1, 2021 – April 30, 2022
- $575,000 – May 1, 2022 – April 30, 2023
- $287,500 – May 1, 2023 – April 30, 2024