Oregon finds itself back in the top five of the AP Poll for the first time since mid-November after a dominating win over Arizona.
The top of this week’s AP Poll looks quite different after a wild Saturday in which six of the nation’s top 10 teams fell to a lesser opponent
Thanks to a 85-58 smothering of the Arizona Wildcats, the Oregon Ducks find themselves up eight spots in the Top 25 from last week’s rankings, taking Arizona’s place as the No. 5 team in the nation. Dana Altman’s squad is now the highest-ranked team in the Pac-12 and back in the top five for the first time since mid-November. The Wildcats, meanwhile, have fallen to the No. 9 spot. With UCLA getting bumped up to No. 10 in the country, the Pac-12 now has three teams in the top 10.
After a statement win over then-No. 2 Baylor, the Kansas Jayhawks had their 51-game Allen Fieldhouse win streak snapped by Deonte Burton and the Iowa State Cyclones. In the eyes of the AP voters, these two games appear to have cancelled each other out, as Bill Self’s squad has stayed put from last week’s poll in the No. 3 slot.
Along with Oregon, No. 10 UCLA and No. 8 North Carolina are the two newcomers to the top 10. Kentucky, Virginia and West Virginia have fallen outside of the top 10 after losses to then-No. 24 Florida, Syracuse and Oklahoma State, respectively.
Notre Dame and Northwestern have both fallen out of the Top 25, allowing Xavier and SMU to take their spots in the polls.
Week 14 AP Top 25 Rankings
- Gonzaga Bulldogs (24-0, 1 previous rank)
- Villanova Wildcats (22-2, 4)
- Kansas Jayhawks (20-3, 3)
- Louisville Cardinals (19-4, 6)
- Oregon Ducks (21-3, 13)
- Baylor Bears (20-3, 2)
- Wisconsin Badgers (20-3, 10)
- North Carolina Tar Heels (21-4, 12)
- Arizona Wildcats (21-3, 5)
- UCLA Bruins (21-3, 11)
- Cincinnati Bearcats (21-2, 14)
- Virginia Cavaliers (17-5, 9)
- West Virginia Mountaineers (18-5, 7)
- Florida State Seminoles (20-4, 15)
- Kentucky Wildcats (18-5, 8)
- Purdue Boilermakers (19-5, 23)
- Florida Gators (18-5, 24)
- Duke Blue Devils (18-5, 21)
- South Carolina Gamecocks (19-4, 19)
- Saint Mary’s (Ca.) Gaels (21-2, 18)
- Maryland Terrapins (20-3, 17)
- Butler Bulldogs (18-5, 16)
- Creighton Bluejays (20-4, 22)
- Xavier Musketeers (17-6, N/R)
- SMU Mustangs (20-4, N/R)