New Appalachian State Coach Dustin Kerns agreed to a five-year deal with the school, according to the signed contract obtained by Stadium via public records request.
The contract term ends on March 31, 2024.
Kerns will earn an annual salary of $300,000, plus he’ll receive a courtesy car or a car allowance worth $500 per month.
He’ll also have the ability to earn performance-based incentives, which are outlined below:
- Team APR (Academic Progress Rate) score is greater than or equal to 950: $10,000
- Team’s semester GPA is above 3.0: $5,000
- Team’s semester GPA is above 2.7 and below 3.0: $2,500
- Sun Belt regular season championship: $10,000
- Sun Belt conference tournament championship: $10,000
- NCAA Tournament at-large selection: $10,000
- Advance to the second round of the NCAA Tournament: $10,000
- Advance to the Sweet 16: $10,000
- Advance to the Elite Eight: $10,000
- Advance to the Final Four: $20,000
- Advance to the NCAA Tournament championship game: $25,000
- Win the NCAA Tournament: $50,000
- Qualify for the NIT: $5,000
- Each NIT win: $2,500
- Qualify for the CIT: $1,000
- Named conference coach of the year or national coach of the year: $5,000
His annual assistant coach salary pool is $240,000 for three assistant coach positions, plus $50,000 for a director of basketball operations.
If Appalachian State fires Kerns without cause prior to the end of the contract term, or if Kerns leaves the school before his contract expires, the deciding party will owe the other the following:
- Prior to April 2020: $300,000
- Prior to April 2021: $300,000
- Prior to April 2022: $300,000
- Prior to April 2023: $300,000
- Prior to April 2024: $150,000