Oct. 11 Liberty 55, at Appalachian State 48 OT
And You Care Because … Josh Woodrum threw three touchdown passes, running for one with just over six minutes to play to tie the game up and send it into overtime, and he found Darrin Peterson for a nine-yard score in the extra frame. Appalachian State’s Taylor Lamb was intercepted in the end zone, and Liberty survived. The two teams combined for over 1,100 yards with Lamb throwing three touchdown passes, and Marcus Cox and Terrence Upshaw each ran for short scores in the seesaw battle, with Upshaw getting the Mountaineers the lead early in the fourth on a 60-yard dash, but turnovers and misfires proved costly.
What Else? Liberty QB Josh Woodrum completed 24-of-37 passes for 356 yards and three scores with an interception, and he ran six times for 11 yards and a score
– Appalachian State QB Taylor Lamb completed 20-of-31 passes for 397 yards and three touchdowns with two picks. Marcus Cox ran 17 times for 111 yards and a touchdown, and Terrence Upshaw ran 14 times for 102 yards and a score.
– Turnovers: Appalachian State 4 – Liberty 2
– Total yards: Appalachian State 628 – Liberty 501
Game Rating: A
Oct. 11 at Georgia Southern 47, Idaho 24
And You Care Because … Kevin Ellison ran for two touchdowns and threw for another, and Matt Dobson returned an interception for a touchdown as Georgia Southern didn’t have any problems with the Vandals. The Eagles were up 20-10 at halftime, and took control in the third quarter with a three-yard Alfred Ramsby touchdown run finishing up a 21-point scoring run to put the game away. Elijhaa Penny ran for three scores for the Vandals.
What Else? Georgia Southern QB Kevin Ellison completed 7-of-11 passes for 96 yards and a touchdown, and he ran 12 times for 32 yards and two scores
– Idaho RB Elijhaa Penny ran 21 times for 75 yards and three touchdowns
– Total yards: Georgia Southern 550 – Idaho 365
– The two teams combined to convert 18-of-31 third down chances
Game Rating: C+
Oct. 11 at Troy 41, New Mexico State 24
And You Care Because … The Troy offense woke up with 20 first half points, but it was helped by a 89-yard kickoff return for a touchdown from Chandler Worthy to answer a NMSU 53-yard touchdown run from Larry Rose III. NMSU hung around just enough to make Troy keep working, but Jordan Chunn ran for two scores and Worthy came up with a 35-yard touchdown catch late in the fourth. NMSU got two Tyler Rogers touchdown passes in the second half, but it wasn’t enough to hold off the Trojan O.
What Else? Troy QB Brandon Silvers completed 23-of-30 passes for 211 yards and a touchdown with a pick, and he ran 20 times for 70 yards and a touchdown
– New Mexico State QB Tyler Rogers completed 22-of-32 passes for 272 yards and two touchdowns with an interception
– Troy RB Brandon Burks ran ten times for 176 yards, and caught two passes for 24 yards
– Total yards: Troy 571 – New Mexico State 395
Game Rating: C
Oct. 11 at Kentucky 48, ULM 14
And You Care Because … Kentucky struggled early, getting down 14-3 on two Pete Thomas touchdown passes for the Warhawks. It was all Wildcats the rest of the way, scoring 45 unanswered points helped by three Patrick Towles touchdown passes and interception returns for scores from Josh Forrest and Marcus McWilson. Stanley Williams cranked out a 58-yard touchdown run late in the third to put it well out of reach.
What Else? Kentucky QB Patrick Towles completed 16-of-28 passes for 216 yards and three scores
– ULM QB Pete Thomas completed 20-of-31 passes for 167 yards and two touchdowns with a pick six, and Brayle Brown completed 2-of-8 passes for 20 yards with a pick six
– Kentucky WR Javess Blue caught three passes for 109 yards and two scores
– Third down conversions: ULM 8-of-20 – Kentucky 1-of-12
Game Rating: D+
Oct. 11 Arkansas State 52, at Georgia State 10
And You Care Because … Arkansas State ripped off 24 first quarter points and never let Georgia State get in the game. Fredi Knighten threw three touchdown passes and ripped off a 51-yard scoring run, and Michael Gordon ran for scores from 50 and 11 yards out as the Red Wolves had no problems. GSU managed a second quarter field goal but didn’t get into the end zone until a Gerald Howse two-yard run in the final minutes.
What Else? Arkansas State RB Michael Gordon ran 18 times for 188 yards and two scores
– Georgia State QB Nick Arbuckle completed 18-of-36 passes for 162 yards
– Arkansas State QB Fredi Knighten completed 20-of-26 passes for 215 yards and three touchdowns, and ran 12 times for 93 yards and a score.
– Total yards: Arkansas State 618 – Georgia State 269
Game Rating: D-
Oct. 11 Liberty 55, at Appalachian State 48 OT